If you are raising a child with a physical or developmental disability, we can help you cope with the many financial, medical and social issues involved. We can help you obtain the assistance you need now, and ensure your special needs child will be well cared for after you can no longer serve as primary caregiver. In addition, we can:

  • Alleviate your concerns about protecting your child’s eligibility for SSI and other government benefits
  • Determine what benefits are available in your specific situation
  • Maximize the amount of public and private resources available to you
  • Help you address the planning needs of other members of your family
  • Review your plan periodically to take into account any changes in your financial, family or medical situation

Special Needs Trusts

There are many different special needs trusts, intended to accomplish a range of goals, but in general they seek to maintain eligibility for means tested government assistance programs, including Medicaid and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). In addition, special needs trusts can supplement the services not provided by means tested programs.  These can include:

  • Annual check-ups at an independent medical facility
  • Attendance of religious services
  • Supplemental education and tutoring
  • Out-of-pocket medical and dental expenses
  • Transportation (including purchase of a vehicle)
  • Maintenance of vehicles
  • Purchase materials for a hobby or recreation activity
  • Funds for trips or vacations
  • Funds for entertainment such as movies, shows or ballgames
  • Purchase of goods and services that add pleasure and quality to life: computers, videos, furniture, or electronics
  • Athletic training or competitions
  • Special dietary needs
  • Personal care attendant or escort

The ultimate benefit of having a special needs trust is the peace of mind that comes from knowing your special needs child will receive the best possible care for the rest of his or her life.

Our special needs trust services also provide assistance for minors receiving court settlements. Contact us today for a consultation.